When to go outside?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by EggsForIHOP, May 25, 2010.

  1. EggsForIHOP

    EggsForIHOP Songster

    Apr 18, 2010
    So, the hubby is pushing the meaty bird thing - thankfully, he managed to rehome a good chunk of the excess birds he had ordered and through mother nature's natural selection and a little help from craigslist we are down from 80 birds to 40 - and still looking to reduce down some more - we don't need that many eggs! Point here is that what was going to be my little hobby has become the obsession of the hubby and his BF Frank - and I am over having a dining room full of feathers and dust! But...if the timing were right I would agree to their crazy plans, so....

    My question is this: With meaty birds (he wants the jumbo cornish X) and considering the weather where we live (Houston).....how long would they have to be kept in the brooder? Keep in mind that in a few weeks it won't be below 80 for the rest of the summer (unless something crazy blows through). I am thinking maybe 2 weeks, then they could go outside until the end? I told him if consensus was 2 weeks or less, he could do it. If it came back that we had to wait until they were fully feathered as we did with the other birds (we got them in early April and it was still quite chilly at night until just recently) well...the answer is NO! (I really want to reclaim my house for just a little while)

    So what are the thoughts on this? Wait ...or out ASAP? Thanks as always in advance for all input! I REALLY appreciate all the help I get from this site!
  2. CoopCrazy

    CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

    Mar 3, 2009
    Heck you could honestly put em right into an outdoor brooder with those temps.. you may have to have a 60 watt for heat int he evenings but I had my xs outside at 2 weeks and im in indiana and it was still chilly out too....
  3. lnm03

    lnm03 Songster

    Oct 6, 2008
    Quote:I am in Indiana and have CX they are 1 week today. Do you think they are ready to go out or do I need to wait?
  4. vermonster

    vermonster In the Brooder

    May 3, 2010
    My Cornish X's turned 2 weeks old yesterday, and spent their first night outside in the chicken tractor. My tractor is half open, half enclosed, so they have shelter on three sides (and a top) on one end. I put a heat lamp in there, and will keep it there for the next week or so. Nighttime temps here are in the upper 40s to low 50s.
  5. Sundown_Farmer

    Sundown_Farmer Chirping

    Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    Quote:I'm in central Illinois. I have some 2+ week old birds that are still in the brooder. I'm not in any hurry. Big storm came through yesterday afternoon and little puffballs would have been wet and cold. No thanks. I'm waiting for feathers at 3 weeks.

    Andy Lee says in Day Range Poultry that he broods for 2 weeks then puts them in the field shelter for a week before they are allowed on grass.

    Salatin says in Pastured Poultry Profits that he has put them out at a week in the hot, dry part of summer but prefers to 2 weeks.

    Quote:Consensus from my reading and experience is 2 weeks if you're warm and dry. Sounds like you are. These birds are a little fragile anyway. You may not like the results if you push too hard.
  6. lnm03

    lnm03 Songster

    Oct 6, 2008
    looks like i will wait till three weeks like planned [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: