When to help a chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by megan chickens, Feb 9, 2017.

1. megan chickens

megan chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Hey guys, so my chicks are due tomorrow and i need all to go well. But nothing and no one is perfect and things go wrong like to high humidity or to low. Causing chicks to have trouble hatching or they just get tired trying. So when should i know when to help them hatch?

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    I really try not to help as much as possible, l never help before 16 hours cause it can hurt the chick, but seeing as l hatch 400 chicks at least each year so of course l do have to help a few so if it comes to helping l would be happy to give advice. Please keep us posted
    Congrats

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    good luck....it is going to go just fine for ya!
    [​IMG]

4. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks so much I will keep y'all posted right now 2 have their little beaks out one piped last night and hasn't made much progress and one piped around 12:00pm today and I can hear one chirping but no crack yet

5. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    Ok update: all except one egg piped they should hatch by morning. One was shrink wrapped and has been in egg since last night so I gave him a little help not a lot tho. One of my chicks piped in middle of egg HELP WHAT DO I DO! Never had this happen!

6. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Oh that is fine it just might take her longer

7. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    Ok good, so this morning 2 hatched and the one I helped a little was still not hatched and its been in the egg since the other night. Wayyyy over 24 hours don't know how he is still alive! Pore thing. It was weak from trying so I helped it out of the egg. He is laying their but will chirp. The other 2 are wabling around chirping.They hatched maybe 2 hours ago. The white egg made a little progress. And one egg hasn't piped yet and was suppose to yesterday. I could hear it trying.

8. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    I once had a chick stay in the egg for 3 days and it lived , but l would help it now before it gets cramped and than deformed

9. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    Wow that's a long time! The one I helped out is doing good and the other 2 are fluff balls full of energy. The one I helped I named pip. She loves to snuggle that's all she wants to do! Anyway my 2 white ones hatched last night and are doing great. So all went ok. Thanks for your help!

10. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    PICTURES please...I et they are so cute
    Congrats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by