1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to hens start sitting on the clutch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peruvian_princess, May 2, 2008.

1. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Ok I have 3 RIR hens and 1 rooster & I have had them for a year now. They started laying last september. I got the hens from the feed store and raised them in the house till they were big enough to be outside. So my favorite hen Scarlett loves to be held but the others cant be bothered even though I raised them all. My question is when do RIR start sitting on the clutch? Someone told me that the RIRs wont sit until they are older is that true?

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    A hen has to be in a broody state before she'll feel like sitting on eggs to hatch them. It's something you can't predict or force.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    RIRs are not known for their Broodyness.....once in a while someone will pop in to say they have a Broody RIR but its very rare...Hens have to get the hormones going to want to set a clutch of eggs...just because you have left some in the nest is no sign you will get a hen to set...they have to want to...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by