WHEN TO INSTALL THE CERAMIC EGGS...

Deathlok

Chirping
Apr 5, 2020
All right, we are still about roughly 4 months out till our ducks and chickens will start producing. We have Silver Appleyard Ducks, Red Star, and Bielfelder. The chickens seem to be making little nest where they lay in the coop. I'm wondering if they're practicing OR they are actually closer to laying than what their breed data cards indicate for breeding characteristics? We are fine if they start of course its just we have the brood boxes and if I need to start training them I will. Is it to early to start with the ceramic eggs or should I wait for them to drop the first egg if they even do in the little nest?

I'll order those bad boys up and stick them in. I'm hoping that having only three brooders with 7 chickens will be ok? I can add more brooders but from my research it seems like it will be ok but, I'm still leery.

3 is fine for 7 chickens. They don't spend all day in there. In fact, you will likely find that they tend to favor one or two of the nests.

Having the eggs out there early won't hurt anything. But don't be surprised if some of them lay 1 or 2 eggs out in a random location until they figure out what "that feeling" means. Then they'll head to the nests to lay.

How old are they? Red Stars could lay at 4 months. When you say 4 months out, do you mean it will be 4 months until they lay?

3 is fine for 7 chickens. They don't spend all day in there. In fact, you will likely find that they tend to favor one or two of the nests.
This is our first year/time doing chickens or ducks. I grew up around them but never had my own. I learned a great deal here before joining and the many books my wife purchased. But, the BYC has been like an encyclopedia. I'm really glad I found this place.

This is our first year/time doing chickens or ducks. I grew up around them but never had my own. I learned a great deal here before joining and the many books my wife purchased. But, the BYC has been like an encyclopedia. I'm really glad I found this place.
Agreed. BYC is an excellent resource. I'm glad you decided to read/learn before you got your chickens. They will benefit from the better preparation.

How old are they? Red Stars could lay at 4 months. When you say 4 months out, do you mean it will be 4 months until they lay?
All are roughly 3 months at this point. So, based on what your saying they maybe starting to practice since they are getting to the 4 month mark? The cards showed all roughly between Feb and March. That's why I was a little surprised the last week to see what I've been seeing.

Back
Top Bottom