When to integrate my flock??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newTexan2chickens, Jul 27, 2010.

1. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I have read that you should integrate when they are about the same size... or full grown. I have 4 BO pullets that are supposed to be about 10 wks old but I swear they are either the same size as some of my other hens (mixed leghorn and amaracauna) or about 2/3 the size (BR and FBCM). I also have 2 in that coop that are bantams. Right now there are 15 in a 12x40 coop. How much longer do I need to keep the BO separate? Thanks!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Integration can happen at any time if they are of similar size. Are they in the same coop now? If you can fence off a portion of your coop I'd start there. Let the birds see each other, but not actually be able to interact except through the fence. Give that set-up a couple weeks to allow the birds to get used to the sight of each other. Then, when you feel they are ready, pull the fence out. There will be some minor squabbling as the pecking order adjusts, but they should be good to go.

I recently integrated my waterfowl flock and it went surprisingly well. But a few years back I tried to integrate a single bird into my chicken flock and that went very badly. Integrating multiple birds at one time makes the process much easier. Having ample room (like you do) also improves the process.

Good luck.

3. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    They share about 10 ft of chicken wire right now.... the Pre-K Coop (what DH calls it) runs right alongside the main coop. So they have been able to see and visit with each other for about 4 weeks now.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I'd integrate them now then. There's no reason not to if you feel things have been going well up to this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by