When to integrate young duck with older ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sarahr0612, Jan 11, 2014.

1. sarahr0612

sarahr0612 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    At what age do ya'll put your young ducks with your older ducks? By young I mean 3 months old and by old I mean 8 months old.. the 3 months old ducks are much smaller than the 8 months old ones.

2. tacklouis

tacklouis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Belgium
    Honestly I would wait a month and half longer. Just to make sure the younger ones are strong enough.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When integrating younger with older it's best to use temp fencing so the 2 sides can meet and get use to each other with out some one getting hurt. I use the plastic poultry fencing from Lowes and the 2.68 plastic fence poles. There's going to be a pecking order no matter what but keeping them side by side for a while lets them get use to each other.

4. sarahr0612

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks! The are in the same building but separate pens. They are in pens next to each other which will work out in my favor since they see each other all the time. I will probably wait another month then and just let them out at separate times.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well good for you having done that already. When you decide you want to try them all together get a tasty treat they all like and toss it on the ground then let them all loose, Hopefully they will be so busy scarfing up tasties they won't even notice each other right off. Let us know how it goes.

6. sarahr0612

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    great thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by