When to introdouce ducklings to fully grown ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SparkleFlower, Aug 29, 2013.

1. SparkleFlower

SparkleFlower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2013
    I have 3 Muscovy ducklings, they are 5 weeks old.They live in an A frame coop, and I was wondering when I should move the coop closer to our pond. 1 female Muscovy duck, 1 male Ancona duck, and 1 Canadian goose live on our pond ( they are sort of wild). I was in the coop with the ducklings 3 weeks ago and the adult Muscovy tried to attack me. Will the Waterfowl attack them when I am not in the coop? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Quite possibly they could attack the youngers. Good to be cautious.

I am a very protective duck mom, so I would not want mine out on the pond before they are adults, who also know to come in at night to a very safe, predator-proof coop.

I also would not depend on the semi-wild ducks to be nice. I love ducks, and they have proven to me that they can be very not nice to each other for their own reasons.

3. SparkleFlower

SparkleFlower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2013
    thanks for replying :) I moved the coop closer to pond last night and the wild Muscovy duck walked to the coop, hissed loudly, then flew back to the pond. The Muscovy has been watching the ducklings all morning, I think she is jealous because she is sitting on a rotten egg in a nest under our shed (she has been sitting on the egg for 2 months).

4. Buckas

Buckas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Oh poor girl [​IMG] when she leaves the nest are you able to take the egg out? I haven't a clue if that is a good idea or not but I'm thinking if it starts to stink you may lure predators in. I guess if its not stinkin' it isn't hurting anything, replace it with a wooden egg perhaps.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I'd def get that stinky egg out ASAP. Predators, flies, yuck.

Keep your ducklings separate. That being stated, I will tell you that I have 2 groups of ducklings right now, with their moms, plus my other adults. The adults are perfect, Zero aggression. But one of the older ducklings is a bit of a troublemaker. So that one I have to watch, plus mom watches a lot. So some things just depend on *your* flock. What works here isn't necessarily going to work there. And vice versa. But, since your adults have already given you a clue that you might need to deal with aggression, personally I would just play it safe and wait til they're older.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    One of my ducklings managed to escape my grow out pen and was trying to flock up with the adult ducks I have. The adults were acting like they were being chased by some ravenous monster. It was hilarious watching them run about crazy and desperate to escape this little baby. lol I usually introduce by just opening the door to the pen. They go out and in and such to get accustomed. Then when they are big enough to stick up for themselves I kick them out.

7. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    About the egg, in my experience when the eggs are removed my ducks have always given up being broody. We don't have a male so whenever they go broody we just take all the eggs and poof, problem solved.

8. Buckas

Buckas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    furbabymum! Nice to see a fellow Wyomingite[​IMG]on BYC. I'm sure there are more, but you are the first one I've seen!!

9. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    There are a few. Not many though. Nice ta meet ya! Now to stalk you and see if you have anything I might want to trade for. ;)

10. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    That was a short stalking. Now to get you over to my place so you can see how awesome collecting can be and can start driving your husband nuts. :p Turkeys. Oh Turkeys. I love them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by