When to introduce 4 wk olds with 8 wk olds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by megsnoel, Aug 31, 2010.

1. megsnoel

megsnoel New Egg

Aug 31, 2010
    HI

I have two 4 week old chicks and two 8-9 wks olds that have been out in the coop. When can I introduce the new chicks into the coop? Thanks

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My experience is: the sooner the better.

I would put the little ones in a cage or something, to start with, and then do some supervised, uncaged "visitations" to see how they handle it. I have been able to integrate 2 weekers with 6 weekers before, without incident. But you have to watch them and go with your gut on whether they're ready.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. I've integrated 6 week olds, 2 week olds and 1 week olds all together without any problems. Just stuck them in the brooder all together and kept an eye on them. No problems at all. I was worried about the little ones the most, but it was hilarious, they would just run right under the older ones.

4. rhondaa

rhondaa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    North Tx
    Now or you could have done it sooner. i find it is easier with chicks then hens. I have put in 4w olds with 2 and 3 months and know problem. The problems have been when i have put the chickens that got old enough in with the laying hens.... agh thats when you will have problems!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by