When to introduce a new pullet to flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farm4Suncee, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Farm4Suncee

Farm4Suncee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2013
    Hi there! I have just rehomed our beautiful rooster, as we can't have them here [​IMG]. I'm considering getting another
    pullet to replace he who we thought was a she. Would right away be too stressful on my 7 girls? I know that they go
    through the hierarchy again and that this causes stress, when would be a good time to bring in a new girl?

Thanks!

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Hi! I don't think it will be stressful on your chickens, but man would it be stressful to the new girl! It's tricky introducing younger chickens to adult hens as is, I would definitely not do it with a single chicken. If you could introduce 2 together, that should be much better for everyone. There is great information on here regarding how to introduce chickens to one another (let them see each other for a few days while not being allowed to touch, etc) so be sure to check that out as well. Good luck to you!

3. Farm4Suncee

Farm4Suncee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I would gladly introduce two as opposed to one pullet [​IMG] My girls are 17 wks old and I'm hoping to find
    a couple gals around the same age. Now my hubby will HAVE to agree with me on two, that's what I wanted in the first place.
    You've helped make "our" decision a lot easier[​IMG]

4. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Hehe Gad to hear you'll be getting some new chickies! Happy looking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by