When to introduce a quarantined chicken back to the flock...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lucky7_93021, Jul 20, 2019.

1. lucky7_93021

lucky7_93021 Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    Hello everyone,
    This is my first post so thanks for welcoming me to the community. We live in Thousand Oaks, CA and now have 10 hens. 6 Full size hens and 4 Silkies. A few weeks ago we lost a hen in broad daylight then one was attacked and survived in the coop that night. The next week we lost a silkie and an 8 week old chick to the same predator. Luckily after some upgrades we haven't had any attacks... but... just after all this...
    Our Plymouth Rock Hen started gurgling when she'd breath. We removed her from the flock, added vitamins to her water and started using VetRX along with ACV in the water. Soon after started treating her with Oxine mist. She started getting better but a few days later one of the 8 week old chicks got the same thing. Within 3 days of being quarantined however both chickens show no signs of any sickness but are still in quarantine.
    Now it's a week later and our buff orphington started sneezing and gurgling. I gave her the same treatments and within an afternoon the gurgling has stopped but she's still sneezing.
    The questions I can't seem to find an answer too is... how long do the chickens need to stay in quarantine AFTER they stop displaying any symptoms AND is it ok to quarantine a newly sick hen with ones that are on the mend? I'm wondering if what ever had been attacking my hens brought something with it from surrounding flocks?
    Thanks everyone in advance.

2. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Songster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    I would introduce them back to the flock as soon as symptoms stop. Sneezing in a chicken could just be a cold and nothing to worry about. But with the time separation from the flock the pecking order will need to be reestablished and some fights could occur. To try to prevent that if put them in a cage or pen near the chickens so that they can see each other but not touch each other and then reintroduce them that night on the roost.

3. lucky7_93021

lucky7_93021 Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    Thanks for the advice. It's more than just sneezing, they were gurgling when breathing. It's been over a week since symptoms so we've put them back with the flock and quarantined the remaining sick chicken. Fingers crossed she feels better within the next few days.

Top Rooster likes this.
  4. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Songster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    Have you looked up her symptoms to find the sickness? I’m currently fighting sickness too except mine has different symptoms and kills quickly.

5. lucky7_93021

lucky7_93021 Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    Oh that's so sad.
    I've tried and the gurgling seems to point to some kind of URI. It's weird how quickly they are recovering though without any meds, just vitamins and vetRX.
    If you have something killing that quickly it could be something like Newcastle.

Top Rooster likes this.
  6. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Songster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    So far none of my alive chickens have the symptoms but the ones that are dead now their symptoms showed up in a day and died the next. I’m treating all of the other chickens with corid right now. I don’t know what else to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: