When to introduce chick to big chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by amberohare, Apr 24, 2017.

1. amberohare

amberohare New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    I have a brahma chick that looks like she has all her feathers. She's at least 5 weeks old. Today, she escaped from the brooder and was running around my garage with a cat and dog nearby. I managed to get her without any casualties. Is she old enough to put her out with the big chickens? I don't want her hurt or escape again.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like it. I introduce mine at 6-10 weeks depending on the weather and the feathering on the chicks.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  4. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    I did just integrate one chick with two other adults, and it went well. My chick was about 5 weeks. I think what @aart says is correct - I watched carefully to make sure there was no bullying, but it worked remarkable well with a younger bird. In my case the chick was in a dog carrier inside the larger area, and that was where she was brooded. They were able to see and hear each other for the first 5 weeks of the chick's life, so I guess they thought it was no big deal when I opened the door. I made sure the chick had hiding places and I showed her where they were, but it went great.

I'm sure it's different with different individuals, but I was successful in getting this one chick accepted by the two adults.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by