When to introduce chicks to a broody hen?

ClaraCluckChicken

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 11, 2017
Hello! I've got a broody hen and we are wanting to sneak her a couple chicks. My question is...is there a certain amount of time to wait after she becomes broody? She has only been for just under a week. I did successfully move her to a floor level nesting box so we don't have any chicks fall. Just wondering when to give her the babies! (I want to time it with shipments for TSC/Bomgaars so they are the youngest I can get)

So much depends on the hen, this is a tough question to answer. But I've dealt with tons of broody hens, and I would recommend letting her brood eggs (fake or infertile ones are fine!) for at least 2 weeks. They instinctively know the timing of when their chicks should hatch, but after a couple of weeks, they should accept chicks from you.

Most folks prefer to introduce the chicks in the dark, as hens seem to more readily accept them when they can't see them. They just let the chicks snuggle and bond all night, then things are usually fine in the morning.
If I need to put a chick under a momma hen, I place the chick under her rear-end, instead of in front of her.

Hello! I've got a broody hen and we are wanting to sneak her a couple chicks. My question is...is there a certain amount of time to wait after she becomes broody? She has only been for just under a week. I did successfully move her to a floor level nesting box so we don't have any chicks fall. Just wondering when to give her the babies! (I want to time it with shipments for TSC/Bomgaars so they are the youngest I can get)
Just wondering if you put some chicks under your broody? This week would probably be a good time because I think it’s been about 20 days or so since you posted.

Back
Top Bottom