When to Introduce ex-battery hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Anastacia, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Anastacia

Anastacia New Egg

Jan 25, 2012
    Hi everyone
    I'm about to start a coop (am clearing our our garden on the weekend). We are looking to get 3 Isabrown hens at point of lay as well as rescuing 3 battery hens who are on the culling list. These rescue hens are only adopted out once given the all clear by the vet.

My question is when should I introduce them. Do I get them all the same day and introduce them to the coop together? Or do I get the resuce hens first and give them a good chance to get strong before buying the Isabrowns? Or buy the Isabrowns first?

Of course I will talk to the rescue place and ask their advice but it's the middle of the night here in Australia so I thought I'd ask my new American friends what their advice is.

The other factor to consider is that I am new to hens, maybe I should get my skills up before introducing frail little darlings so I'd be in a better position to look after them.

What do you think?

2. Lyssa

Lyssa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi there,

I just saw your post. I haven't introduced hens yet, because I just let my girls hatch eggs and the chicks grow up with the group... but I would recommend doing a search here at BYC, there are so many posts on exactly what your asking. From what I was reading, letting the chickens be near each other, but unable to get at each other seems to work. Many people talk about a wire dog crate, to let them get to see and smell each other for a day or so, then letting them out together after a few days.

I personally would probably start with getting the Battery Hens healthy before getting more girls. Just my 2 cents, but if they are frail little darlings, they could probably use the extra attention. Plus, depending on how they are managed in your country, mine treats them terrible typically, they may not really know how to move around, explore, roost, and may need some time to adjust to being FREE. :eek:)

However you choose to integrate them, people say keep them separate for awhile, just to make sure all the hens are healthy so you don't get all the girls sick if you have a disease that you don't see immediately. Good luck with your flock!

Lyssa

3. Anastacia

Anastacia New Egg

Jan 25, 2012
    Thanks Lyssa

Yes you are right, there is lots of info on the boards.... have just had a look. I think that getting the rescue hens first may be the way to go to so that I can look after them, problem is my 9yr old daughter wants lovely fluffy hens now. Another life lesson for her to learn - patience [​IMG]

4. Lyssa

Lyssa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    :) patience... Yes that's a good lesson. I am still working on it myself!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by