When to introduce grit for chickies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by teddiliza, Feb 28, 2008.

1. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I read that they don't need grit if they eat their chick starter, but how long to keep them on it and when do you introduce grit and calcium? There are so many varied answers, I'd like a consensus....

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I don't think you want to introduce calcium until they are about to lay.
    If they have access to dirt, they will get there own grit, so that makes it easy.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    This REALLY depends on the starter you are using. Some are designed to carry through until 18 - 20 weeks when you move to layer. Others require an intermediate feed. That could be why you see different schedules with people and their chicks.

No calcium until they start to lay.

4. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    If you ever get a group to agree on time lines for anything it will be a miracle ---Grit is like ice cream when added just becareful they don't pick it all out and leave the food--
    With starter you don't need to add grit but if you do it isn't going to hurt them and CA - is like any other vitamin - Before laying once a month or so has worked for me - I don't like to wait to till they "need" something I try to keep it balanced all the time- Find out what works for your flock - It varies between personal likes and dislikes and areas state to state city to city - brands of food protein levels etc...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by