When to introduce Layer food.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rocky Road, May 18, 2011.

1. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I have my 7 week old chicks on grower feed right now, and left overs [​IMG]

I was wondering when you normally switch them to layer feed. Do you do it at a certain age when you expect them to lay soon, or after they have laid their first eggs?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Most feed bags I have seen suggest in the 18 week old range. So, say you run out of grower feed at 17 weeks, do you buy another large bag of grower feed? I wouldn't. A week early on layer is not going to make a huge difference.

MY suggestion is 18 weeks or when you get your first egg; whichever comes first. However, if you are getting within a week or two of 18 weeks and you run out of grower feed, go ahead and make the switch then.

Best to start mixing it around 16 weeks anyhow, so it's a gradual switchover. Some chickens balk at a sudden change of feed, although mine couldn't care less; if its food, they'll eat it.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  3. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:X2

4. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    Thanks! I know my chicks dont' care about the change either. When I switched from chick starter to grower feed they didn't mind at all. They were still fighting over the food. . haha.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:In that case, once you get ready to feed them layer, you might want to try them on layer pellets. Much less waste with pellets. If you introduce pellets gradually they should do fine with them.

6. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by