1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when to introduce live insects???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by reelaxd, Jul 23, 2011.

1. reelaxd

reelaxd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Lynchburg
    i just got my chicks and i want to know when i can start feeding them live insects and grass?.............

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We raise our chicks in an outdoor brooder and they start catching insects when they can find them as soon as they go in the brooder.

3. Wheeler Farms Chickens

Wheeler Farms Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Piedmont, South Dakota
    We started ours at a week. Now at two weeks we have them in the yard for an hour or so and they LOVE LOVE LOVE ants. If you want some fun, go buy some small crickets and let them loose in the brooder.

4. reelaxd

Jul 6, 2011
    Lynchburg
    wat insects do they usually eat first bc my chicks are inside and i would like to bring them a couple of bugs................

5. reelaxd

Jul 6, 2011
    Lynchburg
    haha ok im sure it would be hilarious to watch them chase around some crickets

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

They love crickets, but will eat most any insect small enough for them to eat. Those little round sow bugs (My kids call them rolly-pollies) mine seldom eat, but anything else they can catch they enjoy. Crickets, grasshoppers, moths, flies, just any small insect they can catch!

7. reelaxd

Jul 6, 2011
    Lynchburg
    ok thanx again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by