1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to introduce mama and babies to flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Qualara, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Qualara

Qualara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia
    My silkie babies are now 8 weeks old and have grown very big. I was just wondering if I could introduce them to the flock yet? I only have 5 girls in my flock so no roosters yet. They have been quite gentle in their "pecking order pecking" of the new girl I added a few weeks ago, they don't attack. Is it ok to add mama and her babies yet, the brooder is getting small!

Thank you.

2. chick fire

chick fire Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    tn
    I would say in your case go for it

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Yep, do it now. The sooner they are introduced to the flock, the better. I have 8 day-old chicks, and i let them out of their run (with mum) for that last two hours of each day so they can mingle with the rest of the flock (with me supervising). I have been doing this since they were 2 days old. The flock generally seem to ignore the chicks and they are more focused on getting out of the way of the angry mum [​IMG] Not once have any of the flock given any of the chicks even the gentlest of pecks. In a couple of weeks they will be out and free-ranging with the rest of the flock full time. I know that i will lose a couple to hawks, but i personally feel its worth the loss for the freedom that they have.

Good luck!
    CT

4. Qualara

Qualara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia

Hi, thank you for your answer, I have another question if you don't mind. I have a group of 8 other older chicks that are 12 weeks old, do you think I should just put everyone together and see what happens?

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    That depends on a few variables. Do you free range your flock?. If you do, then you can let the 12 week olds out first, and then the chicks, but only if you are there supervising. Also ensure that you have more than one feeding station in order to reduce the likelihood of competition for food. Do you have any adults? - the 12 week olds may be a bit mean to the chicks - adult presence tends to keep everything on an even keel.

There are many threads about introducing new flock members and id suggest that you take a look at those to help you make your decisions.

Good luck
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by