When to introduce new chicks to my flock??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jlborello, Oct 25, 2013.

1. jlborello

jlborello Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Florida
    I just got 5 chicks. How long do I need to keep them separated from my 18 week olds( 2 hens and a roo)??

2. jlborello

jlborello Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Florida
    The chicks are 2/3 weeks old:)

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A lot depends on how much space they will have and how many hiding spots and obstacles they have when you introduce them. Generally the less space the older they have to be. With little space they need to be big enough to stand up or run from the older chickens if necessary. At sixteen weeks they are generally big enough for that. With more space they can be younger.

4. punk chicken

punk chicken New Egg

Sep 29, 2013
    Hi,I have room for four large chickens in my hen house,at present i have three large birds.I went to buy a Hen yesterday and the breeder told me if i introduced a new hen(P.O.L.)the other chickens would most likely kill it.Any suggestions as to what to do?

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.

A single chicken introduction is the hardest integration. The established birds can all focus on that one hen, and she can take a beating. The way I would recommend is to have her in a separate section where they can see each other. After a week start putting them in with her one by one, a few days between the intros.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by