When to introduce new chicks to the flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenlady81, Dec 26, 2009.

1. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    I was wondering when is a good time to put my 7 chicks in with my adults? I have two roosters and 6 hens now. Some are still pullets and havent laid yet some are already laying. The chicks are about 3 months old or so. They are BLRW chicks and adults. Right now they are in a brooder box in the coop with them. I would like them to get out of the brooder for more excersize.

2. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    anytime, i introduce my 3 day olds with my like 5 month old chickens, but then again my chickens are free range...

3. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    My adults are free ranged most of the time. They do have a run they can go in but its cold here now and They like to stay in the coop most of the time.

4. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    well, a day when they are outside and the weather is good grab a handful of chicke, of a cardboard box, and take them out there, sit down and babysit, keep doing this when the weather is good and the big ones are out and they will get used to eachother. then you can let the chicks free range all the time. eventually the chicks will go back to their box when they are ready to go away, and then the will eventually find their own way home to the brooder.

5. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    LIke Thor said, it is good to free-range them together when you can. You could also partition off part of the run for them, and give them a doghouse or covered crate to go in when they need shelter. This at least would give them a little more room until fully integrated. If they have been visible to the others this whole time, things should go pretty well.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:If you do partition off an area for the chicks, you can make a small opening that only they can get through, so they can come and go as they please, and get back to safety if the adults get mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by