When to introduce new chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Nov 26, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    We have 2 12 week old chicks (black star), and 1 White Leghorn pullet (22 weeks, although she is the same size). When do we introduce them to our other two red star hens? I know for a fact they are extremally territorial. Last time we tried, they drew blood. What do you think? I'm fine with waiting longer...in fact, I kinda want to [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    did you do the whole, in the coop, but separate thing?

they are the right size, its up to you...now or wait, but if they are so far apart they don't see each other, it won't matter
    they have to see each other and try to adjust...eventually they will be together and feathers will fly and there may be some
    blood....make sure they have somewhere to run to get away, in other words, don't leave them alone together in the coop
    or run, with no where to go to get away....

good luck!

**I am sure you knew all that already, you just have to give it another try.

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

If you can place the new ones in a small cage inside the main pen for several days. I've done it that way for years and it does help in introducing new ones to a flock. When you do finally release them the older girls will tell them who is boss. Just make sure they have a safe place to run and get away. I know sometimes it's so hard to watch. But they should be fine. The pecking order has to be established.
    [​IMG]

4. Janelschickenfarm

Janelschickenfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    I introduce new chickens to the group at night. Slip them in the coop while the gangs all asleep. It really helps. The pecking order will still need to be established but it shouldn't be as bad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by