When to introduce to flock/coop?

Hug a tree

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2017
I'm new at raising chicks but I have 5 older hens. My chicks are not fully feathered but getting big so I'm planning ahead. I know I should not introduce them to my hens until they are the same size and preferably at night. I was wondering if I would be able to put them in the coop (when they have their feathers) in a large dog kennel? Or would that cause problems/pecking through the crate? Also, when they are the same size (which seems like it might be forever from now), should I use a heat lamp at night or will they be okay on their own? Thanks!

I integrate my chicks at 4-8 weeks of age. I wouldn't wait until they are older it will be more difficult. Start by putting the young ones next to or in a pen in your current set up to get your older birds used to seeing them.

How old are your chicks? How big is your coop and run?

Actually, it's not a rule that you must wait until the chicks reach full size to integrate them with the adults. In fact, integrating small chicks is much easier because they represent no threat to the adult flock.

Many of us here at BYC are integrating our chicks as early as age two weeks, this is sans broody hen, using what I've coined a "panic room". It's a safe enclosure with multiple chick-size entrances where the chicks can retreat for safety to rest, to eat and drink, and to grow their self confidence.

If you look down below this post, you'll see a list of my articles I've written for BYC. Copy and paste into your browser the one on brooding chicks outdoors for all the details and advantages of integrating chicks early.

Chicks are about 3 weeks old (seems soooo much longer to me!) and our coop is a she'd like structure about 8x10. I put them in the kennel without a bottom to let them scratch outside but they were getting through the sides.

Thank you! I'll look into this. I figured introducing them now might help the transition. It's also getting quite cool out in the evenings but I do have a lamp and a heating pad they can use.

If you can cover the sides of the kennel with hardware cloth or 1" mesh, you can move them out right now. The sooner the better. If you can set them up with a heating pad cave they will be just fine. Most chicks wean off heat (if using the MHP system) at 4 weeks anyways. Your coop is nice and big, so that shouldn't be an issue. Kudos to you on that. Many folks try to integrate chicks in a doll house set up, and then wonder why it fails. @azygous is the queen of early integration and has an article, I do believe. OOPS!!! I see she's already been here! Hi @azygous!

Want to know what I find to be the best part of early chick integration? The raw, screaming, hilarity of watching tiny chicks running around, teasing the adults, and out maneuvering them as they zip in and out of their special portals in the run. Those little squirts are fast!

I'm gonna go for this! How long should I keep them in the kennel for? Also, what can I use to make a cave over the heating pad? Thanks so much!

I use a scrap of sturdy field fencing. It bends easily to form a low cave when the chicks are new, the heating pad needing to touch their backs to warm them. As the chicks grow, it's easy to bend the frame into a higher cave to accommodate them as they double in size each week.
P1010021.JPG

It's important to place both heating pad and steel frame inside a pillow case or something similar so the chicks can't get stuck between frame and pad. That happened with one of my chicks, and luckily I discovered it and freed it before any harm came to it.

Back
Top Bottom