When to introduce?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiemom25, May 19, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    ok the 2 almost four week olds ( no clue what they are) are living with the 1 almost twoweek old opington. They moved in with me at the same time and it went well even being from different sources. Then came the 2 almost one week olds rocks ( one barred one white). at about 3 days I tried moving them in with the 3 older girls but the little barred rock got seriously pecked by the head of the 3 some. She didnt care about the little white rock who isnt much smaller than the opington but has little feathering. but the barred.. welll she just doesnt like her. So I took the rocks out and put them in a seperate brooder again..

Here is the dilemna.. in another week, the 3 should be feathered out pretty well. Actually the 2 four week olds are pretty good now. Do I move the 3 out to the coop or continue to keep the 3 in the extra large dog crate ( should be enough room) for another week or two until the youngest ones get enough feathers to move outside too. That way everyone moves to the coop at the same time... The change in housing is what propably helped the 3 girls work it out peacefully in the first place. Trying to find a way to get them ALL to get along.. I work all day do no one home to monitor much and will have to introduce on a friday night and watch.

Thanks for any advise.
    -D

2. mrchicken

mrchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Keep em separate until the younger ones are able to defend themselves.
    (Usually around 5-6 weeks)

3. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Will the older ones be territorial if I put them in the coop now and introduce the younger ones later? Or should everyone be moved at the same time?

4. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I would say it depends on the older ones and their temperment. I've added a lot of chicks to coops with grown chickens with little problem. They seem to view a chick as no threat. As they get older, the hierarchy will establish. I haven't had much problem putting different age chicks together. I agree with the PP about making sure the babies can defend themselves. You don't want them to be injured. Once they can run away easily, they'll figure it out! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by