When to leave the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kateseidel, Jan 12, 2010.

1. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Wow - kind of an overwhelming site! I am a first-timer, and will be ordering 8 Buff Orpingtons and 8 Silver Laced Wyandottes at the end of February. Our local feed store says too many of them freeze to death on the loading dock of our big city post office waiting for transfer to our little town post office before then. Anyway, I have built a 2 foot x 4 foot brooder box, and had thought they could live there until 6-8 weeks. But now I am thinking that box is too small for that many chicks? How long can I keep them there before moving them to the great outdoors? They are going to be free range chicks with a big coop (unless the predators get them, and then we'll look at a pen).

Kate
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dickies chics

dickies chics Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Baldwinville MA
    Where are you located? How cold does it get in yor area?

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Yeah, where are you?

Technically, that brooder is about the right size. Each chick gets 1 square foot, which is technically enough, but it might get crowded toward the end. It should be just fine, though.

4. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    your brooder looks excellent, and plenty big enough. the others are correct that we need to know where you live for advice on moving the chicks outdoors.

5. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    I'm in the Charlotte, NC area. I know - we're supposed to be the deep south!! Last week we were in the teens, and we will have freezes up until the first of April (then moving swiftly to 95 degree heat).

Kate

6. littlekit

littlekit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    You will know when it's time. The chicks are going nuts, the smell is out of control, and they have enough feathers to keep warm. I put mine out at about five weeks. [​IMG] Raising chicks is great fun. I can't wait to do it again. Your brooder and coop are gorgeous. I used a cardboard box (several really!) for mine and it worked but that is awesome. Good Job![​IMG]

7. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    when everytime u open your lid to clean, water, and feed, and half of them fly out , r roost on the side of the box u will know when it is time!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by