when to leave the nest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jessicam320, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jessicam320

jessicam320 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    I got 6 two week old ducklings and was wondering how soon i could move them outside. I heard of some people haveing them out at two weeks but also been told to wait much longer. I have a good size rabbit hutch set up in my chicken coop and i think it would be warm enough right now being early spring. The temps are 50 or 60s at night. Inside the hutch is a wooden box for nesting and the hutch itself is mostly closed in. So there shouldbt be any drafts. Just wondering if anyone could give me there opinion on it. Does anyone house there chicks and ducklings outside without a light dureing the hot months?

2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I moved my ducklings outside at 8 weeks without a light, but it was August.
    I am in Maine & on a "mountain", though. Not sure where you are located.
    I think 50's at night, without a light, would be a little early, but ducklings are pretty hardy.
    There is a big difference between 50's & 60's.

But, I have only raised two of my ducks from ducklings, so I am not an expert. I am also a bit of a worry-wort.

How are you brooding them? I used their plastic kiddie pool after they outgrew their first brooder. It is pretty funny to see them paddle around in it as big ducks after watching them waddle around in it as babies.

3. jessicam320

jessicam320 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Yea probably better wait a couple of weeks i worry alot bout em too. The reason i wanted to know was cuz there incloser is getting to small. I might have to run an extension cord down to the coop. I live in Arkansas low on a mountain Its been real warm lately where i cant have the light on all the time. Thanks for the input much appreciated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by