1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

When to let an injured hen rejoin the flock? - wound pictures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sebTucson, Feb 6, 2015.

1. sebTucson

sebTucson In the Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    If you have been following Chick Noris' progress, I think things are going well. Two questions: 1- Does this wound seem to be healing well? Im not familiar with how chickens with black skin heal up. Its a bit gunky from the antibiotic ointment- there is no actual discharge. 2- Do you think its safe to put her back in with the flock at this level of healing? I'll keep up with the antibiotic ointment twice a day, but she's getting really pissy about being separated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Crowing 7 Years

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello there,
    I'm not familiar with black skinned chickens either, but if the wound looks good, no discharge or leakage, I think it's probably safe to assume all is going well.
    As for integration - if you can spend time watching the first reactions with her sisters, I say give it a go. If they start picking at her, put her back in solitary immediately. Good luck, let us know how it goes, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: