when to let babies go out into the yard ???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LYNLY, Apr 25, 2008.

1. LYNLY

LYNLY Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Montrose Colorado
    My babies are 8 weeks old. They have been spending day out in the coop, night in the garage. I would like to let them roam the yard this weekend, any thoughts ??? thank you, in advance..

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Just keep a close eye on them and the sky and the woods and around the corner for cats and dogs and any other possible predator.

Well just keep an eye on them.....I wouldn't let them roam in the yard alone.

3. LYNLY

LYNLY Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Montrose Colorado
    We have 4 dogs who ignore the chickens. The chickens are bigger than 3 of them. smart dogs ?? How would I round them up at night ?? any thoughts ???

4. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Get a call going so that when you hollar for them they know it's time to come in. Like, with mine, which are still waiting on the coop to be finished, I sit in the room where they are and when I speak to them I say "Here chick, chick, chick" and they look up at me and respond by coming to my voice. Now I can't say that for my younger bunch which is only a week old but they will get used to it also.

Find something that suits you when it comes to a call but don't get discouraged if they don't come the first few times. And sometimes the chickens come in on their own, they don't need to be called. Usually this happens before dusk.

You know the old saying "chickens always come home to roost". But I will recommend to get a call for them in case you need them in sooner. And also when you see them coming go outside and call them any ways, this way they will know that you are calling them. This advice comes from me watching my Grandmother as a child. Hope it helps.

5. MooseHillFarm

MooseHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    Quote:I believe this to be very good advice! My grown chickens come running' at the sound of here, chick chick, especially if I'm throwing something. If you train them early, so much the better.
    Tonight we were trying to go out to dinner before dusk and DH was using my Kashi cereal to lure them in. Have you seen the price of cereal lately??!! all but one made it in, and we got tired of chasing the Leghorn. I wonder if you could train chicks to respond to bell.

6. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Possibility, if you use it along with your call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by