When to let chicks freerange

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bossdog004, Apr 2, 2009.

1. bossdog004

bossdog004 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I have 8 five week old chicks that are in an outside pen so that the other hens can get to know them.

When is it safe to let them freerange?

2. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I didn't turn ours out till they were like 4 months old. I was scared to death LOL. Now they free-range 100% of the day and most of them choose to roost in the trees at night. Some come to the coop, it's up to them.

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mine did at one week old, but that was with their mama leading the way.

4. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    My 4 week olds are free-ranging in my basement right now [​IMG] spring cleaning is going to be pretty intense down there when the weather outside finally starts cooperating.

~Mark

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Mine are 4-5 weeks old and are free-ranging on days when the temps are in the 60's or above. Space is getting really tight in the brooder so it helps relieve the crowding. These chicks are actually being raised for someone else and luckily they have a large horse barn where the chicks will have an entire stall to themselves, starting this weekend.

Our own chicks on order from Privett should be arriving next week. Hopefully, by the time they're 4 weeks old we'll have two more runs built and the weather will be much nicer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by