1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to let my broody take out her babies..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rodandbrandy, Jun 7, 2008.

1. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Okay so here is what I have going on (this is my first time with a broody hen) I have 2 buff orps that hatched some babies, right before they hatched I moved them to a seperate part of the coop for privacy and chick safety, at the same time I was hatching in the bator and as they hatched I would give them to my hens to take care of. They are doing great, the 2 hens are taking care of 7 babies and I have 5 more inside to give them, The youngest is 4 days old and the oldest is about 2 weeks. So here is the question: When can I let my hens take the babies to live with the rest of the flock which consists of 20 layers and 1 roo? The hens seem anxious to get out of their small space so I let them go out with the babies, they did well except she left 2 outside and did not even seem to notice. When can they all live together?[​IMG]

2. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Do you keep your birds cooped up all the time? I usually let mine free range while I'm out to keep track of them so I usually let the broodies out within a week with their chicks, but I put them back in thier broody pens at night till the chicks are about 8 weeks or so. By then the other chickens are used to the babies so I have fewer problems with them getting picked on.

Hope this helps!

Jess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by