When to let my chicks explore outside

May 23, 2022
Murfreesboro, TN
My chicks (Cinnamon Queens and Australorps) will be 2 weeks on or around Thursday. When should I let them start exploring outside for small periods (or should I)? They're feathering well, and the temps here (middle Tn) are in the mid 70's - mid 80's most days.

My chicks (Cinnamon Queens and Australorps) will be 2 weeks on or around Thursday. When should I let them start exploring outside for small periods (or should I)? They're feathering well, and the temps here (middle Tn) are in the mid 70's - mid 80's most days.
If they are with their mother or a foster mother, I would not hesitate to recommend letting them out. However if they are by themselves, it would depend on the housing situation you have for them.

Chicks tend to know where their food and water is, and will probably stay close to the chicken house, but may wander off to other shady areas. Are you concerned about anything in particular that makes you hesitant? Such as stray cats, predators, dangerous areas, etc?

If they are with their mother or a foster mother, I would not hesitate to recommend letting them out. However if they are by themselves, it would depend on the housing situation you have for them.

Chicks tend to know where their food and water is, and will probably stay close to the chicken house, but may wander off to other shady areas. Are you concerned about anything in particular that makes you hesitant? Such as stray cats, predators, dangerous areas, etc?
Um, just that they're still so young and just not sure if they'd be ok. I would monitor them they don't have a mother or foster mother, just me.

Thank you 😊
You can put them in a box so it's easy to carry them to and from the yard. Choose a spot that makes it easy for you to see everyone. Avoid places with tall grass or heavily thicketed areas that the chicks could get lost in.

I wouldn't let them be outside for more then an hour to start with. Maybe about 30 or so minutes for their first week. Once they get a little older and more familiar with the area, you can start extending their outdoor playtime.

You can put them in a box so it's easy to carry them to and from the yard. Choose a spot that makes it easy for you to see everyone. Avoid places with tall grass or heavily thicketed areas that the chicks could get lost in.

I wouldn't let them be outside for more then an hour to start with. Maybe about 30 or so minutes for their first week. Once they get a little older and more familiar with the area, you can start extending their outdoor playtime.
Thank you so much, that's very helpful advice 😊

Back
Top Bottom