when to let my chicks have vegetable scraps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nalaine, May 6, 2011.

1. Nalaine

Nalaine New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Hi everybody...I am Nalaine...I live in Northern Ca. I have just started in this venture and I would like to know how old the girls need to be before giving them vegetable scraps. We have 9 little girls just a week or so old....still inside in their tub with a light. I'd appreciate all the info I can get.....They will go into a regular coop with laying boxes and a running area at our friends' property who we are in this little adventure together with.....first timers for us all. Thanks.....I hope everybody is enjoying their day!

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I would say anytime. If they had been hatched under a broody in an outside coop and allowed to roam like nature designed they would be eating and pecking at whatever they find and whatever the mother points out to them. Just make sure you keep the uneaten scraps cleaned up as you would keep the brooder cleaned up. They haven't developed their immune systems like they would outside in the dirt.

Just noticed that was your first post. Welcome. If you've been lurking for awhile you know that there is a wealth of information here. Check out the information on the front page and give the search feature a try. Sometimes you get some really good information without having to sift it much.

Last edited: May 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by