When to let pullets free range?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Linda in San Diego, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I have 8 week olds, the Delightful Dozen. They are a bit skittish of us humans, but if we sit still in the run they will come over and check us out.
    I expect that my birds will be out in the yard most evenings after I get home from work. They will have a few hours to scoot around the yard. The yard is large with 6 foot fences on all sides.
    So any suggestions on how and when to start letting them out to roam? Sunset here is close to 8pm and that has been when they put themselves to bed. Ideas appreciated!

2. brookwoodpat

brookwoodpat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    My ten are not as old as yours and have been free ranging in my yard for 2-3 weeks.

3. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    How big is your yard? I am worried they might go over the fence even as high as it is... Are yours out all day or for a limited time?

4. brookwoodpat

May 11, 2008
    My yard is an acre. at first they stayed close to their pen, then they ranged further. At first I let them out only when I could watch them, then in the late afternoons to evenings, and now they are pretty much out all day. My fence is five feet welded wire on two sides and six feet stockade on the other two. Perhaps some day they may go over it, but so far they haven't. at six weeks they can jump three feet easily. I have enough ground cover that they can hide from hawks pretty well. At night, I still bring them in to my house, because i've been reading the "predator" section of this forum too much.

5. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Thanks for the information. I will try letting them out tomorrow evening I think. But for tonight they are in their run and about to get a treat - cooked bulgar wheat. Yum yum

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

My chicks have been roaming with the momma since less than a week old.

I've been letting the teenagers (hatchery and about 6 weeks old) out in the afternoon. I could let them out all day but the meat birds get into the teen's coop and make a mess.

7. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Humm, no momma, just the Delightful Dozen...and the dogs who want to mama them. LOL

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Thought that it was probably just the birds.

The teenagers stay close to the coop yet but so far so good.

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I have read that if you don't have a rooster your girls will wonder. That is why I am trying to get a roo! Don't they need to be in the designated coop area for about a week? so they know where home is.

10. brookwoodpat

May 11, 2008
    They may wonder, but lest you wonder why you got into chickens, try to keep yours from doing what mine did today -- wandering into the house, and leaving a few of their calling cards on the dining room rug.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by