When to let silkie chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arialp, Nov 17, 2014.

1. arialp

arialp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2014
    Hendersonville, TN
    So I have 4 Splash Silkie chicks and they turn 5 weeks on Thursday. It's very cold outside (high 33 and low 19) so I feel like they will have to be inside for an extended amount of time. Here are some pics of them currently...[​IMG][​IMG]

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    You can't put them outside until they are fully feathered, usually around 6-7 weeks. It sounds really cold where you live though. Is there coop heated?

3. arialp

arialp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2014
    Hendersonville, TN
    I actually live in tn. This cold is crazy. Both the coop and brooder are heated.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'm also in TN (and not liking this weather one bit)! I just kicked 3 7 week olds out of the brooder a couple of days ago. They do have a 6 month old cockerel sharing their new space, and they snuggle up under him at night. During the day they're running around like normal though. They'd been under a 40 watt incandescent bulb for a while before I sent them packing. I've got 6 more about the same age as yours, and they're not ready to be without the lamp. My brooder is outside (all 3 of them, I don't brood in the house at all) so they do have to deal with the temps outside of their heat lamp. They've got a 250 watt bulb, but have to get away from it for food and water.

Perhaps you could make an outside brooder so they still have the heat, but aren't inside. I find my chicks feather out faster if they have to deal with the cold!

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Oops, I missed the part where you said your coop is heated! In that case, I'd totally put them out. If they've got heat, they'll be alright. My 7 week olds have no heat. Just that cockerel, and they've done wonderfully in this yucky weather!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by