When to lock down?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Katelee, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Katelee

Katelee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    So this is our first successful hatch and we clearly have 11 growing babies. It has been very exciting! Now we are nearing the end. I heard that if you set at night you count the next day as one. So that would make today lockdown. I removed the turner and candled. Had two quitters which I removed. I added water and now I am waiting. The only thing is some of the eggs seemed further than the others. So what if some hatch but the others need a few more days? How long do I leave them in the incubator and not open it? Oh my I may not be able to sleep for days - I am so nervous.

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    Ok - breathe! I'm guessing you're on day 17. Do nothing. Close the incubator and walk away. You should see pipping in the next few days. People will tell you not to open the bator at all, but I have to say that I recently hatched out babies and on Day 22 opened the bator for a few seconds to save a chick that was trying to drown herself in the water bowl. I had 12 eggs set, seven hatched out, two pipped but didn't hatch.

You'll be fine. Have fun. You'll be shocked how much fun it is to watch them hatch!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The day you set the eggs is day 0 no matter what time of day it is. I wouldn't put any water in the incubator. The chicks are living on yolk for another 3 days after hatch and don't need food or water. I open my bator during lockdown to remove chicks that are dry and active, but I do wait until there's several of them. I would let the slow developers hang out in the bator for as many days as they need. I would candle them after 2 days late.

4. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    I also have a question about lockdown. Does it matter is your lockdown at the same time as you set your eggs? Like i set my eggs at 5 pm, so today is day 18. Does it matter if i wait till 5 or can i do it anytime?

5. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    My incubator is an LG still air, so the water was for humidity not for the chicks to drink. Once you close the bator for the last three days you just don't open it. You'll get different answers as to when the 'lockdown' period starts. Some say if you set at night the count starts the next day. I'm not sure it matters to be honest. Sometime in the next three or four days you should start seeing pips in the eggs. The hatched chicks can live without any human interference for three days post hatch, so it is advised that you don't open it until then....but as I said in an earlier post. I openend mine and I had chicks healthy chicks hatch out after doing so.

Good luck with the hatch!

1 person likes this.
  6. Katelee

Feb 25, 2012
    Day 20 for me and I see and hear nothing. The wait is torture [​IMG] But I am only peering thru the glass and staring at them lol. So when will I hear peeping? And do you always hear peeping?

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I try to let them all hatch before opening the bator if I do open I usually spray some water in the bator before closing this will help keep the humidity up.

8. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    X2, That is also what I do and works out well.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    For some reason it's confusing counting to 18 and 21. People start with day 0 or day 1. I suppose it doesn't matter as long as you know how your counting. To me when you start is the start of day 1 so I call it as such. You know, then next day (24 hours later) is end of day 1 and start of 2. But again, however is easy for you. What takes all the confusion out is to remember the day you started, let's say it's a Saturday. If all goes well then they'd be hatching 21 days later on a Saturday. Lock down is day 18 so count back 3, Fri, Thurs, Wednesday is lock down.

10. Katelee

Feb 25, 2012
    That actually helped a lot lol I just never thought I set on a Fri hatch on a Fri and yet it is so simple. Thanks - One of my eggs actually moved in the bator, so I am hopeful tomorrow will be an exciting day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by