When to mix Roo w/ my girls

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peas-n-Carrots, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Peas-n-Carrots

Peas-n-Carrots Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    I have an 8 mo. old rooster and was wondering around what age my girls should be before I let them hang out together. They are all 2-1/2 mo. old - 3 BO, 1 Australorp, & 1 Silkie (she's the boss). He's pretty docile, in fact he's a big scardy-cat, but I'm afraid that he may try to breed with them & hurt them if I mix them to soon. I had to put him in a small cage today to do some work in his pen so I put him(in the cage) in their enclosure & they all seem very interested.We haven't finished with their permanant pen yet & my plan is to have it divided:the rooster with 2-3 hens on one side, and have the silkie and 1 or 2 friends on the other side. (Unless you guys think the silkie would be ok in one pen with everybody.) I was kinda just wanting to let them all out in the temporary run together just to see what they'd do, not let them all live in the same coop together yet. Bad idea? Here are some pics to give you a good idea of the size difference.

[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I like to start my integrations at 12 weeks, but not let the birds intermingle until they are 14 weeks at the earliest. That way they are pretty much integrated by 16 weeks which is about when they reach their full size. Your pullets should be sexually mature by 16 weeks, and indeed some may even start laying shortly after that. I think the silkie may be able to hold her own in with the big birds if she is the boss of her current flock. I'd give it a try.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by