When to move 3 week old chicks into a coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brokenandreal, Feb 22, 2013.

1. 2-3 weeks

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. 3-5 weeks

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  3. 5-7 weeks

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  4. other

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Brokenandreal

Brokenandreal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Florida
    My Rhode Island Reds are only about 3 weeks old and my dad is already thinking of putting them in the coop outside because they're starting to fly out of their brooder and go on little adventures in my room.
    They of course leave traced of feces everywhere[​IMG] and then they just fly back into the brooder when they hear me arrive home from school.

So I was wondering if it would be ok to move them into the coop and if not, what age should I move them in?

2. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I moved mine between 3&4 weeks cause they outgrew their brooder. I have an inclosed coop, that I just hung their heat lamp in and slowly raised it over several weeks.

3. ktklages

ktklages Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Mine are 7 weeks now and I'm only just moving them out, but for the day only and inside at night. It's too cold for the poor little things! Make sure they're fully feathered before bringing them out into the cold unless they're being protected from a mother hen.

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I would wait till 6 weeks, and just put a lid on the brooder till then. what is your temp at night?

5. Brokenandreal

Feb 19, 2013
    Florida
    I live in Florida so the temperature at night is never below 70 but since it's winter it's gotten lowest 40 degrees but that's very rare here.

6. Brokenandreal

Feb 19, 2013
    Florida
    Do you think it would be ok to move them out now and bring them in at night to keep them in the brooder?

7. Kilsharion

Kilsharion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    I put mine in the coop at ~four weeks of age. I supply a heat source in the coop for them to go into for warmth. I remove the heat source entirely by six weeks.

8. ktklages

ktklages Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    I'd say if it gets below 60 bring them in(until feathered) otherwise let them enjoy some sunshine!

9. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

In that weather, you could keep them out during the day, and in at night until they are 6 weeks.

10. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I would wait until 4 weeks and then kick them out. Mine get moved out at 5 weeks and it has been getting down to the teens at night. They have a heat lamp and each other for warmth. It is 65 in our house and I took away the heat lamp at age 3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by