When to move 6 week old chicks outside permanently?

Sakmeht

Chirping
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Right now they are in a brooder in the garage with no supplemental heat (it's been in the high 80's-low90's here in the day) and during the day I put them in a movable run with a perch but no enclosed area. They have plenty of shade. It's been in the low 60's at night and as they looked fully feathered out I'm wondering if I can let them sleep in the run during the night if I provide a draft-free shelter on one end?

I'm a first-timer. My intuition tells me they will probably be okay - especially if I leave the brooder up in the garage so that I can transfer them back in if it gets too chilly.

Thanks!
(Our coop is a week or two away from completion)

thumbsup.gif
They sound ready! As you said, put a draft free shelter w/bedding in one end, and do make sure the tractor you're keeping them in is VERY secure, with small wire to prevent reach-ins... Good luck! I'm sure your chicks will appreciate the new space
smile.png

Ours moved into the coop at 4 weeks old, which was early may in central nc. They love it! We had a couple nights in the 50s right after they moved outside, but they were fine.

I moved my chicks outside into a tightly-enclosed growout pen with enclosed mini coop at 3 weeks. They've been out there for about 3 days now. But it's also in the 90s here, and there's 28 of 'em, and they do huddle up together at night. Their little coop also provides a great deal of protection from the elements, as well.

Besides, I have a hen outside with 8 little chicks that she's had running around the yard since they were 2 or 3 days old. Every time I let a broody raise chicks outside, they grow up to be the healthiest, strongest, most vigorous chickens in the flock. There's something to be said about letting them go outside and just be chickens at an early age.

Thanks for the responses guys - we've had some storms lately so it's actually been more like low to mid-50's at night recently - but I'll use the empty cat crate and put in some shavings and let them curl up in there tonight. With a tarp over them to cut out drafts they should be happy. Thanks!
big_smile.png

Just moved my babies outside today.(well not outside outside) They absolutely love it out there. Trying to fly, taking dust (dirt) baths..which at first kinda freaked me out, then I realized what they were doing. They seem to love all of the space they have.

Back
Top Bottom