when to move babie to coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kdcrws, Sep 3, 2008.

1. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    My chicks r a week old....How long do they need to stay inside for? When can they be moved to the coop? It's in the upper 80's to low 90's during the day and low to mid 70's @ night. Thanks!

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Generaly speaking they feather out at 8 weeks, anytime after they have feathered out is fine.

3. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    You can move them out to the coop/run at 4 to 5 weeks. They need a constant temp the first few weeks. 95* the first week. 90* the second, 85* the third, 80* the forth. You can take them out to the run during the day and let them run around as long as the temp matches the temp they need or is higher than they need, any lower than they need the first 4 weeks could cause a chill that can be dangerous for them.
    When you do move them out to the coop for good it's a good idea to move the brooder light with them if poss. Place it in the corner so they can get to it if needed.
    There is a free online book in the bottom left corner under "free e care book" that can be helpful. Go to www.mypetchicken.com

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Is your coop secure from predators and with no tiny crevices for little chicks to get stuck in? Can you run electricity at least temporarily for a heat lamp and have it be safe?
    My chicks were never in the house.
    If you have a safe coop that you can keep at the temps. appropriate for the chick's age you can move them out at any age. You can create a smaller area for them using sturdy cardboard or move them brooder and all.
    kdcrws, after reading your other post with pics of your babies I have to amend my statement above. You can move them IF you have a way to seperate them from your adult chickens.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. kdcrws

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:I have two older chicks that i picked up @ a flea market they are about 2 months old now I've had them since they were about 3wks or so and the guy i got them from said he had always had them outside and i put those two straight out. When I bought them the old guy told me they were pullets since then we have discovered that they are actually boys and i'm looking for a new home for them once they are rehomed I think I'll move the babies out.

Are there fire risks involved with having a heat lamp in the coop?

[​IMG]

pic of inside of coop before I put the pine down. ANd filled in the gaps on the sides. I think it would be pretty difficult fore something to get at them.

6. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    As long as the lamp isn't where it could catch anything on fire, ie-it is secured so it can't fall into the shavings--you should be fine. I think we're going to add a light bulb to our rabbit hutch for winter so I won't have to bring him inside if it gets really cold out. Our chicks will have hanging lights as well for super frigid nights. I know there were occasions (very, very rare) when I was growing up in this town when the temps got down to -20F at night and never came above zero for a couple of days, and I want to be prepared in case it does that again.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As heather said, just make sure you're heat lamp is secure.

8. kdcrws

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    will do thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by