When to move chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by biteme2134, Nov 6, 2014.

1. biteme2134

biteme2134 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    We live in GA so the days are still fairly warm but our nights have hit the high 30s already.
    We bought some EE chicks that we received in the mail 10/16 so they're a few weeks old now.
    I started them in the garage then pulled them inside since the temperature dropped.
    I have a brooder with a heat lamp I plan on moving them to but will only be using a 100w heat lamp which won't give a lot of heat.
    So two questions... When could I move them back to the garage with a 150w heat lamp and when can I move them outside with the 100w heat lamp?

Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The best bet is to try them now. Put the heat at a level just above head height. If they continuously crowd the lamp, it's too early. If they wander about during the day, they're ready now. No matter the temperature or their readiness, they'll crowd together near the heat at night.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2

1 person likes this.
  4. biteme2134

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    I think they will be ok during the day - it's been mid to high 60s .. my worry is it being TOO cold at night when I can't really watch them. Tonight the temp for outside says low of 41 and tomorrow low of 38 - Would you still try leaving them out there? I've got 9 of them in a 20 gallon tote now so the extra space would be nice for them I'm sure.

5. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    My youngest chick is around 3.5-4 weeks and my oldest is around 8 weeks. They have been outside in the coop with a heat lamp for the last 4 weeks i believe. Last night we forgot to check the pop door and 4 of the 11 slept outside in a huddle in the run with the heat lamp only 4-5 feet away inside the coop. My temps hover between 50 and 80 inside the coop and still no issues with cold chicks. I'm just south of Atlanta myself.

1 person likes this.
  6. biteme2134

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop

That's encouraging! I have 11 full grown birds in their coop so I made a separate brooder/mini coop - I didn't really make the brooder air tight like I did the coop though. It only has a metal roof attached to wood walls, so air can come in the top pretty easy. I did move them to the garage tonight as it's still over 60 degrees out there now and they're fine.

I use those ceramic reptile heat lamps and really like them. I did have an issue though as I used a 150w bulb in a 150w compatible work lamp and the lamp actually smoked and fire came out of the top! Thankfully I was working on their box and saw it all happen and got it unplugged. SO because of that I only want to use my 100w ceramic lamp to be safer. It's only about as warm as a 100w incandescent. Will that be enough?

7. wwarren8200

wwarren8200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2014
    Florence,AL
    Well once they hit 8 weeks move them in a coop. The younger ones can go outside as long as they are draft free and can get warm quickly. Directly under the heat lamp I would keep at about 95 degrees so they can warm quickly if they get too cold. Multiple heat lamps wouldn't be a bad idea if you have lots of chicks or the brooding area is large. Make sure if they are outside it is predator proof!!

1 person likes this.
  8. biteme2134

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    They way I set up the brooder I only have a safe spot for the one heat lamp. I have it hanging away from any wall so there is less fire risk. I checked them this morning in the garage. It was 40 outside 50 in the garage and they seemed to be roaming around fine. Maybe I'll leave them out there another week or so then slowly push them outdoors as they get bigger. I just don't want them crammed in that tote for too long

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good plan. Totes aren't good for more than a week or two.

Chicks really aren't that fragile. I've had 3 week old chicks escape into the woods at dusk and couldn't retrieve them. It got into the 40s and I assumed they'd either get eaten by a predator or chill to death. Much to my surprise, they showed up at the coop in the morning looking for mom.

10. biteme2134

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    That's crazy! I'd think he'd be done for.

I probably shouldn't tell you that I raised 2 ophingtons and 6 light brahma in that same tote until they were big enough to drop in with my 4 old birds! My saving grace was my newcomers were out numbering my old timers so I put them in a little early and it really just confused the old birds haha

That's why I made the brooder for this round. It's predator proof and I made a drop door to go below the coop into a hardware cloth enclosed small run. So they can be near the big birds with no issues and can grow as big as I want before I restart the pecking order :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by