When to move chicks to garage?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fluharty, Apr 25, 2017.

1. fluharty

fluharty Just Hatched

Dec 28, 2016
    So my new chicks that we incubated are now 10 days old and starting to get smelly. :p They have started in our laundry room but was hoping to move out to the garage soon. The weather here is still dipping to the 50s but I would say it stays pretty warm in the garage. The high is in the 70s sometimes warmer.. When would it be okay to move them? Also, was hoping to do away with the big light and switch to a heating pad of sorts that I concocted after viewing other people's ideas...:p

Thanks for your help!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My chicks went straight from the incubator to a brooder in the garage, with heating pad brooder. They moved out to a grow out coop last weekend with their heating pads. They would have gone to the grow out coop MUCH sooner, but it has been too nasty cold for ME to go out and get it set up! They are thoroughly enjoying their new and bigger space. By this weekend, I'll open up the run for them, and give them access to that as well. At that point, they will be 2.5 weeks old.

3. CheckettsChicks

CheckettsChicks New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    Im a noob...we've been using a heat lap, what do you recommend as far as a heating pad thing?

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by