When to move chicks to outside coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clementsfarm13, Apr 9, 2017.

1. clementsfarm13

clementsfarm13 Just Hatched

Mar 16, 2017
    Virginia
    Hey guys so here in Virginia weather is about 70s during the day and mid to high 50s at night, so we were wondering if the weather was good enough to move our 4 1/2-5 week chicks and ducks to their outside coops? If needed i can definitely run an extension cord out there and put their heat lamps out there at night time.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes and probably need a little heat on the cool nights, BUT not no high wattage heat lamp. You did not mention how many chicks you got----but if a dozen or less---about a 60 watt incandescent light bulb in place of the high wattage heat bulb---then lower the lamp to where the temp/heat directly below the light--on the floor is about 80 degree's. Ducks do not need any heat---for sure if they are the same age.

3. clementsfarm13

clementsfarm13 Just Hatched

Mar 16, 2017
    Virginia
    I'm sorry I have 9 chicks and yes all of the same age chicks and ducks and I just wanted to get some advice first didn't want to risk anything happening to my babies since this is our first go at all of this

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Everyone has their own approach. I have moved 5 week old chicks out to the coop without supplemental heat and had it snow two days later -- they were happy as little clams inside their coop. That being said, I had already weaned them off of the heat in the week prior to the move in a room where the ambient temperature ranged from 50-70 depending on time of day/night and had managed them with minimal heat prior to that as well. I would not hesitate to move this flock of yours out and not worry about heat - they are well equipped to keep themselves/each other warm as long as they are provided a draft free place to do so.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^^ Big Time

After the first few days, I keep them as cool as possible, they'll feather out faster and be healthier overall.
    When I brooded inside I'd have them off the heat at about 3 weeks,
    they spent time in a day pen with their huddle box as a wind break,
    and I opened windows in the brooder room to keep ambient temps low.
    Dry and wind free they can take pretty low temps once feathered out.

Huddle Box
    Make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.
    Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.
    Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.
    Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by