When to Move Chicks to the Coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wxdude99, Jun 22, 2010.

1. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I have three 3 week old chicks. And I have two 2 year old hens in the coop. When should I move the chicks out to the coop? I currently have them in the house in a rubbermaid bin.

Thanks

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
  3. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Hello!
    When they are close in size! The hens really seem to torment the little ones.
    Have a nice day.
    Dana

4. kenora44

kenora44 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    I moved my chicks in the coop at 2 weeks of age but sectioned off an area where the hens cant get to them and I left the heat lamp on all the time. At night I put them back into the rubbermaid tote and took them out in the morning. I pre warmed the tote at night to check the temperature for them. I stopped using the heat lamp about 3 weeks but we really have hot weather here. They are 1 month old now and I am too nervous to let the hens near them, They are divided by 1 inch chicken wire so the hens cant peck at them.

5. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Great articles! Make sure you click next button to get to the "adding chicks to older flock" article!
    Dana

6. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    Great links. Thanks! I'll keep them in the brooder for a couple more months then ease them in. One of my hens is very gentle, but the other can be a bully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by