1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when to move chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dschicken, Oct 9, 2013.

1. dschicken

dschicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    texas
    I have 15 ameraucana chicks that are 4 weeks old. They are in a 4' cage in the coop. I have 24 chickens with two big rir roos that are not nice at times. Theseare my first chicks always had grown chickens. Don't know when I should move them out of the cage. Thanks for any help.

2. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicks should be indroduced to the rest of the flock at eight to twelve weeks so they can handle the pecking order.
    You should Introduce them at night so they are not seen as sudden new comers.
    Good luck![​IMG]

3. dschicken

Aug 27, 2013
    texas
    So do I put them on the roost?

4. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    I would.

5. dschicken

Aug 27, 2013
    texas
    Ok thanks ill try that

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Personally I have no set age. It depends on how full my brooder/grower pens are. I've put young pullets that were still fuzzy in my layer pen but I prefer to do it when they are at least fully feathered and look like a regular chicken.

7. dschicken

Aug 27, 2013
    texas
    They are fully feathered now. I had a few on the ground. One of the rir roos ran over to the chick, picked it up by its back and started to sling it around.Im worried that the rir will kill them. Trying to do this without getting rid of the rir roo.

8. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I had a rooster that I would sometimes see making a commotion with a bitty in his mouth. It finally dawned on me that he was trying to mate with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by