when to move cornisoutside

ttrammell

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
SEK Pittsburg area
I have about 80 Cornish cross chicks they will be 3 wks old this coming wed. I have them in an outside shed with heat lamp now, with plenty of room for them to get away from the heat if they need to. It's going to be cool this week, lows in the mid 40's tonight and tomorrow, then moving into the mid 50's by the end of the week (for lows, highs mid 70's). At what tempts/age will it be safe to move them outside. I've read a couple threads on here, and the answers range from "too cool, warm enough, not to cold" does anyone have actual tempts to go by?

By 4weeks they should be feathered enough to be comfortable outdoors regardless of your temps. Personally I would start switching off the heatlamp during the day. I usually start the first day with the lamp off for an hour and then slowly increase the amount of time without heat. This hardens them off, and prepares them for no heat.
Usually, if it is warmer, I do let my 3weeks outside for that time of no heat. But my temps are usually around 60 before I do that. If you are that cold I would leave them in the brooder and just switch off the light.

By 4weeks they should be feathered enough to be comfortable outdoors regardless of your temps. Personally I would start switching off the heatlamp during the day. I usually start the first day with the lamp off for an hour and then slowly increase the amount of time without heat. This hardens them off, and prepares them for no heat.
Usually, if it is warmer, I do let my 3weeks outside for that time of no heat. But my temps are usually around 60 before I do that. If you are that cold I would leave them in the brooder and just switch off the light.
How did your broilers do this weekend? We have 30, 11-day or cornish Xs in a tractor our indoor garage at 55 degrees with a heat lamp and they are huddled together and shivering. Yesterday, we lost one. We ended up turning on the heat, covering up the tractor with blankets, putting in a space heater next to the tractor and this morning it's 70 degrees in the garage and they are still huddled together shivering.

This is our 5th year raising broilers and we've never had an issue with the cold. But this is the first year we've put them in the tractor so soon.

Mine are almost 5weeks and I need to go let them out for the day. We are having very cold temps, one night got to 37, and lots of rain, so working to keep them dry. But so far everyone seems happy.

Back
Top Bottom