1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to move Coturnix chicks to wire??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zaphia1, Apr 11, 2016.

1. zaphia1

zaphia1 New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Hey everyone!

I am new to raising quail, and I feel I have read a ton of information on their care. However, I can't seem to find a consensus about when chicks can be moved to wire.

Their brooder is currently a 38 gal aquarium, with the bottom filled with a few inches of pine shavings. I am growing tired of changing the shavings, but mostly I am tired of taking the shavings out of the water and food containers. They are 11 days old (hatched April 1), and are growing quickly!

I will be keeping them on 1/2" square wire as adults, and I have heard the many opinions about that.

In short, when do you think I will be able to move them?

2. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I start my new chicks on 1/4" wire until they are 7 to 10 days old then on 1/2" until 4 weeks old. After that they go on 1/2" by 1"

3. Karen Sal

Karen Sal Just Hatched

May 31, 2017
    You could put a layer of straw down on the 1/2 wire. The straw will stay for several days, depending on how thick it is.

4. HUGHES555

HUGHES555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    alabama
    I wait until they are about 4 weeks in the summer 6 weeks in the winter. They are fully feathered by then and can go out with the rest of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by