When to Move Ducklings to Brooder Vs Let them Peep to other Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickeepoo, Jun 21, 2010.

1. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Question: with one muscovy duckling having hatched about 12 hours ago, and the next one just over an hour ago and 4 eggs left to go, when should they be moved to the brooder to keep them from rolling the remaining pipping eggs, or should they stay because the others need to hear them peeping to encourage them to peck and free themselves?
    The older dry duckling has been ALL over the bator, pecking everything, jostling eggs that are trying to hatch, sleeping on the thermometer/hygrometer, and getting his claws occasionally stuck in both the wire and the washcloth I put down to help him rest off the wire, trying to taste the styrofoam lip on the bator as well as the paper "trays" under the remaining eggs.
    Yes, I'm glad he's healthy and full of energy-
    They're little miracle survivors from orphaned eggs, but we still want the rest of them to get to hatch too! There isn't a light in the bator- shall I turn off the light in that room and they'll settle down and sleep, perhaps? I'm guessing from the crack in egg#3 that it may hatch anytime from an hour form now til morningÂ…can the older ducklings cause problems for the hatch or trample the younger new-hatches?

2. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Got an answer on another thread- if they're dry and rambunctious, they could be moved to the brooder and offered a little water and chick starter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by