When to move momma and her new hatchling back outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiemom25, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    :jumpyWell the almost-dead cold chick seems to have recovered and was cheeping away this morning under her momma. Hopefully Emilio will be smart enough to feed the poor little thing. There is water and food available. I brought both Emilio and her only chick into the house in a dog crate last night so we could keep an eye on them.. I don't want to separate Emilio from the other 2 hens too long and have to go through reintroducing them. Even with only 3, introductions have been difficult before stabilizing on just 3 hens. Emilio now seems to understand she has to sit on the chick. Do you think I can move them back out tomorrow? I want to clean the coop well first. I doubt the little chick can get back up the ramp if she leaves the coop.. Will that be a problem for putting her in the coop? Also I have a light on in the dog crate just in case, but I don't have a light in the coop... thoughts please... this is our first hatching and my daughter was frantic for me to save the almost dead chick yesterday so I don't want it to die, but I also don't want problems down the road ...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Its obvious you need to help her be a good mommy by reminder her of her jobs. Let them out for a few hours and while they are out you need to be looking and checking to make sure she doesn't abandon her. If she gets distracted and ignores her or them again isolate them and put the chicks with her again until she gets it or becomes mean and at times they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by