When to move newly hatched chicks

zoe0208

In the Brooder
May 7, 2017
Hi all, I'm new to this so apologies in advance for any silly questions. So I'm on day 20 of incubating bantam eggs. One chick hatched at 9.30pm yesterday and another at approx 4am today, both are doing well and looking fluffy. I have 4 other eggs that are externally pipped and 4 doing nothing as yet. Should I leave the two hatched chicks in the incubator and wait for the others or move them to the brooder? I have a comfort heat plate already warmed for them. Also should the chicks back be able to rest on the heat plate? It seems hot to me. Sorry for so many questions. Hope someone can help :) x

Hi! Welcome to BYC!
The chicks can survive without food or water for 72 hours. Though can isn't should.
The danger of opening the incubator with pipped eggs in there is that they can get a chill and die.
Now that I have frightened you, we hatchers do it quite often. Be quick, and watch the humidity.
Yes, the chicks should be able to lay on the plate.
droolin.gif
(Kidding!) It might seem hot, but they will not roast themselves (that is your job!
lol.png
).

Haha, thank you for your reply. Had scrambled egg this morning for breakfast and struggled to eat it haha. When I open the incubator to refill the water the temp recovers really quickly. I have no means of checking humidity levels - just have both chambers full of water in the brinsea octagon 20. Maybe I will wait until the first has been hatched 24 hours and move if no more have hatched. I will have no nails left at that point I'm sure haha x

Haha, thank you for your reply. Had scrambled egg this morning for breakfast and struggled to eat it haha. When I open the incubator to refill the water the temp recovers really quickly. I have no means of checking humidity levels - just have both chambers full of water in the brinsea octagon 20. Maybe I will wait until the first has been hatched 24 hours and move if no more have hatched. I will have no nails left at that point I'm sure haha x

LOL! The baby (she was 20 mos) actually assisted a hatch. She took a month or so to eat eggs again.

It's funny how our brains work. I love eggs usually - and roast chicken lol. This is more nerve wracking than having human babies I'm sure! Pip to zip seems to be taking forever for my chicks - doesn't help that I'm staring at the incubator every 5 minutes. It's almost 1pm where I am and I'm still in my pjs - ooops x

Back
Top Bottom