When to move out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SareBear0728, Oct 30, 2011.

1. SareBear0728

SareBear0728 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    Canton, GA
    We have 29 babies of all different types. They are almost 6 weeks old. We are moving them to a large section (30' x 15') of our barn to be used as their indoor coop (it has 4 solid walls and concrete floors). When would you suggest we move them out? Do they need heat outside? Just FYI, the 10 day forecast shows lows in the high 30's and highs in the mid 60's...

Thanks for the advice for the newbie!

Sarah and the peeping/clucking gals

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    If they are fully feathered they should not need heat. I live in central Texas and do not use a heat lamp at all if I have chicks in the summer. I just make sure they are protected from any wind. I just recently released 6 week old chicks into my flock. They are fully feathered. We just recently had a cold front with lows in the upper 30s and highs in the upper 70s and I do not have a fully enclosed coop. I have had no problems. I don't think you will as long as they are protected from any wind. If you have heat on them now I would wean them off before moving outside though.

Good luck!

3. SareBear0728

SareBear0728 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Thanks Melinda! I will wean them off the heat lamp tomorrow...they are getting SO big and most are completely feathered. There are a couple that are still more fluff than feather...I was thinking of putting a Sweeter Heater out there but I keep seeing everyone to say no heat! [​IMG] I mean, it may only be for my own peace of mind but I would really like to have some sort of heat source for them! [​IMG]

Sarah

4. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    As long as you have adequate ventillation to keep the moisture from building up in the coop your chicks will be very happy outside. They are very cold tolerant with the exception of silkies (I think). I do not know what a sweater heater is but any type of heat source you have out there is a fire risk. There are many posts on here about fires in coops due to people trying to heat them. There is a thread called something like "if you think your chickens are cold, think again." That thread may give you peace of mind. Chickens do like the cold so much more than the heat.

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    There are many posts on here about fires in coops due to people trying to heat them.

There are many more people who heat coops without any incident using common sense and extra precautions. I am still of the opinion that if you secure a heatlamp properly with more than one point fastened there is very little risk of fire. Just don't rely on just the clamp -- that's asking for trouble even inside your house.

Having said that, I also think that 6 week old chicks should be able to handle temps in the upper thirties, especially if there are 29 of them and they can seek each other out for extra warmth. My fourteen 6 week old chicks were without any source of heat from 3 pm to midnight day before yesterday during a snow storm that knocked out our power and they were absolutely fine. The temp in the coop went down to about 33 degrees.​

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    They'll be fine. God knew what He was doing when He gave them the feathers.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by