when to move outside

chicky1016

Songster
6 Years
Jun 20, 2015
South jersey USA
So I've got the one baby rooster who hatched 4/21 and got 4 more hens that hatched 4/30. The temp here in NJ (lately) has been on the cooler side and we've had lots of rain and night temps have been in the 50's. What's the average temp have to be outside for them to be outside full time? I've heard 8 weeks old before you can move them out but then I've seen where other people have moved them out at 5 weeks if the weather was warm. Thoughts? The rooster has 85-90% of his feathers already so when the time comes, I'd move him outside first.

They can go out now with no problems. If you still have heat on them inside dial it back until they are weened then put them out. I've three week old cockerels out in grow out pen since yesterday. Well North of you on Canadian border. Our last frost nights were earlier this week. Well, it's Sunday so technically last week.

Another question... the cuckoo marans now look like they too have almost all their feathers. The welsummer chicks are a little behind in the feather dept- they still have some down left. If I move the big guy out, along with the cuckoo marans, and then in another week or two, move the welsummers out as they get more feathers, will the pecking order have to start all over again with chicks so young? I know it can be pretty brutal with an established adult flock, that's why I was asking. The rooster is crowing now and since he's in my house, I want him OUT (he's 6 weeks now). But I don't want him to go out alone, should I just wait and do them all at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom