1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to move outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dangerouschicken, May 15, 2007.

1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    My chicks are nearing 5 weeks old. They are feathering out well, and certainly can fly! The nights here are still in the 40's. Is it okay to put them into the coop outside?

Also, how long before you can tell if they are a rooster or hen? I have Easter Egger banties.

Thanks!

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    40 is still a little low for chicks that young. If you can provide a heat lamp for them then they can be moved out. If it is a good sized group you can do it when the nights stay around 50 without supplimental heat.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Thanks for the info. I can run a heat lamp to them. It will be a looooooooong extension cord, but it will do.

Another question, will they know to go into the coop at night, or will they need coaching? They have a run and I'm not free ranging them.

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    They may need some coaching to go inside. When it gets dark outside, it is usually darker inside the coop and looks scary to them. A night light sometimes helps, but you will probably have to place them inside the coop the first few nights

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by